Posted by Richard Blalock on March 18, 2001 at 00:48:44:
I will send this out in an email to the family shortly. However, we do have some breaking news. We hired a professional genealogist named Jim Garity to look up the death certificates for us. He found them!
Jacob and Basha's death certificates are now online. They reveal many interesting facts. I will try to detail them for you.
1. Jacob's parents were Isaiah and Bessie (?) Shenkin.
2. Jacob was younger than we thought. He was approximately 79 when he died. He was born in 1855 not 1840 like we originally thought. His date of death was slightly different too. Based on the certificate his lived from sometime in 1855 to October 15, 1934. This is a highly controversial topic. Most of the family believed that he was in his nineties.
3. Jacob's certificate confirms that he was married to a Rachel or Rochelle when he died.
4. Basha's parents were Benjamin Tischman and Hanah Silberstein.
5. Basha's real name was Bessie. This is very confusing for many of us. This means that Jacob's mother was named Bessie, his wife, and his daughter. This is quite unusual for a Jewish family. The names Rebecca and Hannah that appeared on the website were a mistake. It is a long story. However, we have it corrected now.
6. Bessie was younger than we originally thought. She was born in 1860 not 1843 like we had documented. She lived from September 25, 1860 to October 04, 1919.
7. They are both buried in Old Montefiore Cemetery in Queens. They are supposed to be buried next to each other.
8. Jacob and Basha came to the US in approximately 1907 according to her death certificates.